Thursday, October 11, 2007

I love October

One of the main reasons I love to live in the Midwest (some days I wonder if it is the only reason) is the guaranteed change in seasons. The renewal of spring and the return of green grass and fragrant flowers, the seemingly endless daylight and the relaxing warmth of the summertime sun, as well as fall's colorful foliage and winter's snowy wonderlands. Even though I do appreciate the changes, there is one month that stands alone as my favorite: October.

I love the brisk autumn air and cold soggy rainy days. I love the rich vibrant red, orange and yellow leaves on the trees. I still enjoy Halloween, and every year I wonder, 'Hmm..what should I be this year?' as if I were a little kid. I love pumpkins, going to orchards, bonfires and hay rack rides. I look forward to taking Chloe to the park so she can crawl through the crispy fallen leaves as she experiences her first autumn ever. I love to see the leaves on the tree outside my church change to a lovely orangey-yellow, the exact orangey-yellow they were three years ago this month when Floyd and I took our wedding pictures under it. I don't know..I just get giddy every year when October begins. I feel it's a nice change after months of hot hot heat and it's a great time to throw on a blanket and get snuggly on the couch with someone. (Hopefully with someone you know..)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love fall too. I love the brisk wind, toasting marshmallows, drinking spiced cider. It's such a lovely time of year. It inspires me to bake, to make the house cozy for winter.

JennyWo said...

MMmmMMm..toasting marshmallows..I forgot about that..I love S'mores. Ah, so many great things about this time of year!

Kevin Lowe said...

October and November are awesome. Fall is my favorite!